lentils: The lentil (Lens culinaris or Lens esculenta) is an edible legume. It is an annual plant known for its lens-shaped seeds. It is about 40 cm (16 in) tall, and the seeds grow in pods, usually with two seeds in each. As a food crop, the majority of world production comes from Canada and India, producing 58% combined of the world total.
lentils recipe: Lentils are more or less our favorite food. Lentils are a very tasty and nutritious food. There is no housewife in Bangladesh who cannot cook pulses.
Ingredients: Half a poya of lentils, 1 large garlic clove, 3 round onion bulbs, 3 green chilli slices, half a teaspoon of turmeric powder, coriander leaves, salt and oil and cumin seeds. Method: First wash the lentils with water. Wash the pulses and put them in the pot with the same amount of water, 3-4 cloves of garlic, 1 onion and 3 green chillies. When the pulses are cooked, add half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and salt. Then when the bulge rises in the stalks, cut another onion round and leave it in the stalks. Put the pot of dal in the oven for another 2-3 minutes. Now heat another pot in the oven with the same amount of soybean oil. In hot oil, fry 2-3 cloves of garlic and 1 onion in brown color. When the garlic and onion turn brown, leave a little cumin-panchfarang oil. Then pour the pulses in the oil, stir for 1-2 minutes and sprinkle with coriander leaves. Now reduce the heat of the oven and put the pot down from the oven. Serve the family with lunch or dinner with fun lentils.
Lentils are one of the main food grains of Bangladesh with English name Red lentil. Lentils are one of the most well-known food items in Bengali cuisine. Lentils have a number of nutrients, which are beneficial in relieving multiple diseases. Lentils are high in carbs which are enough to meet the needs of the human body.
Many of us do not know the quality of lentils. Let’s learn about the qualities of lentils –
1) Weight control: Lentils are high in fiber which helps in weight loss as well as muscle strengthening and helps in reducing the amount of carbohydrates from the body. Because lentils improve the body’s metabolism. As lentils are also one of the sources of iron, it activates the body’s metabolism and helps in digestion of food, which leads to weight loss.
2) To keep the heart active and reduce cholesterol: One of the qualities of lentils is that it keeps the heart active and helps to reduce bad cholesterol from the body. The protein and fiber content of lentils helps in keeping the body healthy and strong by transmitting proper oxygen.
3) In controlling diabetes: The health benefits of lentils in controlling diabetes are undeniable. Lentils play an important role in controlling blood sugar levels. That is why lentils are a very important food ingredient in diabetics. It helps in digestion as well as lowering the amount of sugar in the bloodstream and preventing the production of excess sugar.
4) Helps in digestion: Lentils are a high fiber rich ingredient so it can easily digest food in the body. It can also cure any kind of intestinal problem by relieving constipation. Lentils help to keep the stomach clean by cleansing the digestive system.
5) To increase the body’s immunity: The role of lentils in increasing immunity by improving the body’s immunity is undeniable. The protein and other nutrients in it spread its nutrients all over the body and make the body healthy and strong from within.
6) Prevention of cancer: The role of lentils in the prevention of complex incurable diseases like cancer is undeniable. The polyphenols in lentils help protect against cancer and treat cancer. It strikes potential sources of cancer and sends energy to the breast, colon, etc.
6) To protect teeth and bones: As it is the highest source of protein and other nutrients, lentils help to strengthen the body from within. The calcium in lentils provides energy to the bones and teeth of the body.
6) In mental development: The various nutrients present in lentils help to accelerate the health of the brain. Lentils are a part of various excellent nutrients. As lentils are full of folate, it helps to keep the brain healthy.
9) Muscle building: As lentils are an important source of protein, it helps in building muscle in the body. As it contains a lot of fiber, it slowly digests carbohydrates in the body and helps to lighten the body.
10) During pregnancy: Pregnant mothers need a little more protein in their body than other normal people. However, that requirement can be easily met with the help of lentils. A certain amount of lentils in the daily diet helps to keep pregnant mothers healthy. Also one of the major problems of pregnancy is that lentils keep the digestive system active by fighting against constipation. In the case of pregnant women, lentils as well as other nutrients help the newborn to grow and build its body.